Wednesday, October 12, 2011

3 Free Ways To Keep Your Employees Happy

We all know that businesses are struggling. This isn’t breaking news, we’ve been in this boat for a while now. You don’t need to hide it. It’s time to come out of the shadows and embrace it. This is your current reality and until you accept that, you won’t make it better.


I am a millennial. I have a lot of the traits of a millennial, but because my parents are baby boomers they have instilled a lot of their work ethics in me as well. While I work hard to achieve the best in everything I do, if I’m being honest, a good – genuine - pat on the back or thank you will make me bend over backwards for you. I’m passionate. Whatever company I work for, I’m in - 100%. I want them to succeed and will do whatever it takes to do so. It’s an easy equation: If my employer succeeds – I succeed. Do I have to clean the dishes in the break room? Done. Do I have to dust the shelves? Done. Do I have to teach myself a new skill? I’m there.


These are all things that as a leader or management is important to know about your employees. How to get the most out of your talent while still keeping them happy will be your golden ticket.
Here are 3 suggestions to keep your employees happy, without spending a dime.

Ask for their input/feedback. These are the people that work in your trenches every day. Maybe they have an idea that will help increase sales or productivity. The more they feel that they are a part of the solution, the more they will want to help you achieve it.

Give them praise. Be sure that your employees know that you see that they are working hard for you. Make sure what you say is genuine and if you can, do it in the moment.

Keep them in the loop. I can’t stress this one enough. Is the company not doing as well as last year? Let them know. It’s not anything to be embarrassed about. They will be more understanding about the increase in workflow and more willing to go above and beyond for you.

As an employer, what are you doing to keep your employees happy?
As an employee, what is something your employer is doing/could do to keep you happy?

No comments: